Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Fire That Was And Shall Be

We begin again.  Welcome Sean, a friend to Innermost House from the beginning!

I'm not just beginning again.  I am truly beginning.  I have never been on a weblog before and I'm still getting used to how posting and commenting works.  So today I took courage from your example and tried to address you where you are instead of where I amin the comments section of this page.

I thank you all from my heart for your patience with me.  I am not really a mysterious person.  But it is true that the last seven years of my life have been cloaked in a mystery not of my making.  Some mysteries I think may belong to the nature of things.

Today I want to tell you a little of our present place in the journey.  My husband and I are in the eastern states now, feeling our way again, just as we have through all the years that led up to Innermost House.  But this time we know what we are seeking.  It has a name and a size and a shapeInnermost House.  It is strange to say, but we never had the luxury of knowing before.  It is a very great luxury!

In nearly every move we have ever made there was a space between.  There was a time of letting go, a time of seeking, and a time of finding home.  It is almost as though the space between were necessary to fit us for the next stopping place on the journey.

Innermost House was first built under the ancient oaks of land's end in California's redwood country.  It was wholly unpremeditated and unplanned.  But when I look back now I think it arose for that first time in the perfect place to be born.  

In those far western lands, until only a few generations ago, lived the world's last surviving tribes of the original acorn eating peoples.  There under the trees, in autumn time especially, I felt the aboriginal peace that infused their lives.

The last coast of the Americas lies as far beyond the reach of history as our western migrations would go.  I suppose it had to be there we would find the first Innermost House awaiting us in spirit.

I love my California, land of live oaks and redwoods and mountains and ocean.  But I also love the older world of the east, with its rounded hills and forests full of whispered meanings.  I myself am older now.  

It has been ten years since I last spent a summer in the east.  Even the humid heat I never enjoyed before is surprisingly welcome to me.  This is the dry season in California, but here it is a rich deep green under full skies of astonishing clouds.  

It is almost like being a child again.  I remember a time when hot and cold and in between were all equally part of my delight in the changing landscape of a world wholly new to me.  How shall a journey not be full of new beginnings? 

I chose tonight's photograph as the home of the Conversation, the fire that was and shall be, where I someday hope to meet you.

25 comments:

  1. I hope you won't overlook Eastern Tennessee in your travels. I highly recommend these mountains and live in a "holler" here next to the creek. Here is a pretty decent picture of it. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=405775702813338&set=a.313991991991710.70027.100001427347537&type=1&theater ...since you don't mind the HUMIDITY so much now, ya'll come! Hee-hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! So sorry. That didn't work. I will have to come up with something else...You are not the only one figuring all of this out.

      Delete
    2. https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/378208_405775702813338_538340489_n.jpg Now, I think I have figured it out. I believe you can copy and paste this into the very top address bar...

      Delete
    3. That is a cute place, Julie. Is it yours?

      Delete
    4. Wow, Julie, what a wonderful place to live!

      Delete
    5. Both links work fine, Julie, if you highlight the link, right-click and select the option to go there :0)

      Is that your actual house where you live? It's wonderful!

      Delete
    6. Thank you, Ember. I needed a little instruction. Yes, that is my home.

      Delete
    7. What a wonderful setting Julie, and a charming cabin home. You must love living there. We drove through your mountains in a light rain on our way east, and it made such a powerful impression on me.

      Delete
    8. I;m so glad you've seen our slice of heaven here, Diana.

      Delete
  2. Diana,

    I wrote to you a few months ago after I stumbled upon Innermost house. You wrote back and introduced me to the Innermost House Facebook Page. Everyday since then I have checked the page and read much of what was posted. From teh first time I learned about, and viewed Innermost House, I felt deep peace in my soul. I have been on a long journey to find my place - my own Innermost House so to speak. I have made many changes along the way, but am still working towards manifesting my own Innermost house. I just wanted to tell you how very glad I am to read your postings as they are truly rich with food for the soul. Thank you for being a light to those of us who continue the journey. JoAnn Wills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to see you here, JoAnn. And you are very welcome. Won't you tell us about your own journey?

      Delete
    2. Diana,

      Yes, I will tell you about my own journey. It began nearly thirteen years ago. I was marreid with two sons, living the American dream by material standards, working long hours to pay for all the consumerism. I was unfulfilled and unhappy; my marriage was a shambles. The turning point for me, was loosing my adored Aunt Pat to cancer - she was my mentor, my rock upon which I drew my strength. I knew I needed change, so I set out on my own - left the new home & car, left the job, left all I knew behind in search of finding tranquility of heart. I was flung into minimalism and small spaces with only partial permission as the other part of me clenched to hold on to what "had been" rather than the present. It took me a long time to work through my transition but overtime I learned that it truly was grace that led me to courage to make the change. I felt my way through some dark places along the way and through those times I had my brightest learning experiences. I learned that the greatest investment I could make was in myself through education and learning, and through being of service to others. I chose to pursue my college education and worked first at attaining my Associates degree throught my MBA, and am currently a Doctoral student. I have grown to be a knowledge seeker, and lifetime learner for the purpose of being of service to others. I contimue to work at paring down materially and building up spiritually. I currently live very simplistically and intentionally. I am working towards becomming self-sufficient. I am so grateful that my journey brought me to a place of freedom - freedom from consumerism & materialism, freedom from fear of change, freedom to live my fullest potential. ~ JoAnn

      Delete
  3. Anywhere I am is where I am supposed to be for whatever lessons are there for me to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! I am just a little further up the mountain from you in the Sierra Nevada. Hi neighbor!
      Ruth

      Delete
    2. That deserves another "Amen".

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful post Diana.

    As you know, I recently read The Grapes of Wrath. It is interesting because the Jode family in the book are forced to leave their hand built home in the east and travel west to California in search of a new home and life. (If anyone is looking for a new book to read I highly recommend it - I now understand why it is a classic). The mother in the story is such an incredible character. All she wants is a a new house and home for her family and yet despite much loss and suffering she still manages to keep everyone's spirit up and she never loses faith or hope. It is the love for her family that gives her that strength. Ma Jode knows that home is where the heart is and so while she may not have a house, she always has a home.

    Fortunately for us these modern times are less hard and so I know a new Innermost House will become yours again Diana, when the time is right. As a proud member of your cyber-family, I know it in my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sean, I am not so much the mother of this family as I am its child. I'm the new one here! I saw this beautiful story performed as a play many years ago. The desperation and courage of the characters was brought home to me by the theater in which it was performed. It was a wonderful performance, yet there were fewer people in the audience than there were characters in the play.

      Delete
  5. If you wind up in the East, Diana, it will be interesting to see how your food choices change. We (I'm in Massachusetts) don't have the year-round bounty of fresh produce that is available in California. This is always a bit of a problem for those who like the idea of 'eating local' but who grew up with a constant supply of fresh food shipped in from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already encountered the difference, Al. And though I have visited some very fine farmers markets here, I understand they do not operate year round. Through the winter I plan to exist on buried nuts, just like a squirrel! I wonder what you do?

      Delete
  6. Diana, you and your husband are welcome to join us for a meal anytime. We live in PA so let me know if you pass through the east side of our state and would like to visit, we would love to have you. -Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your blog.

      Delete
    2. That is such a sweet offer, Stacy. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. God bless your travels; the letting go, the seeking in the space between, the finding and coming home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ember, thank you. You have been a blessing to all the friends of Innermost House. I think we would not be here today but for you. I would not be here without you.

      Delete
  8. I find your post difficult to understand as I do not believe you speak very direct or clearly. I found the concept of IM house interesting. I do not understand why you left the IM house in CA and that you are now in the East. Are you still married to Michael?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.